Tuesday, February 5, 2008

William M's certificate

My chief consultant on all things military, William M., read Black Glasses Like Clark Kent last week and emailed me:

Interestingly on my office wall I have a Certificate & Letter of Appreciation from the 306th. Military Police Battalion, who ran the Abu Ghraib and other military prisons in Iraq for supporting their efforts. Apparently people never learn from past actions. The e-mails to me, were asking me what,why and how we managed Prisoners of War and Military Prisoners in custody.The questions were more pointed toward the retention of POW's held during the Korean War, what we did, how we did it, and why we did it.
Surprisingly to me is that although all military units have a historian, who is supposed to keep all facts on the unit it must not be part of any "corporate knowledge" retained anywhere.
To think what went on at Abu Ghraib can be pushed onto enlisted folks, boggles the mind. The only losers were the 2-3 enlisted people(private & three stripe Sgt.) receiving confinement time is crazy. The only officer punished was Brigadier General Janis Carpinski, who was reduced to the rank of Colonel and in fact was a reservist called to active duty for Iraq and had never dealt with or had trained for this type of assignment.

No comments: